05 December 2012 - 06 December 2012
EP4SM User Requirement Workshop
During the User Requirements Workshop system designers will collaborate with key stakeholders from ESA, TU Wien, AWST and IIASA to gather, discuss and prioritize the users' needs and expectations regarding a cloud computing software for the Soil Moisture domain. The workshop will be the main source of information for the Requirements Baseline.
The project Exploration Platform for Soil Moisture (EP4SM) shall design, develop, operate and demonstrate a vertical prototype for a cloud computing environment for the Earth Observation (EO) ground segment in the technical domain of Soil Moisture (SM) data processing.
The system to be achieved is expected to
- Demonstrate the viability of a typical Science and Services Exploitation Platform (SSEP) application on the future European Science Cloud;
- Popularize the use of the Science Cloud among members of an international scientific community;
- Provide the chosen initial cloud provider, the Facility for Climate and Environmental Monitoring from Space (CEMS) at Harwell, UK, with an early test case of its offerings in a core area of its targeted scope of activities;
- Study issues arising in connection with interoperability of a cloud application between different cloud providers;
- Attempt to partially re-use existing ESA information systems in a cloud setting;
- Deliver quick feedback on selected technical approaches in a representative but limited domain; and
- Define a platform for future exploitation of Soil Moisture and other EO data.