We are seeking a Communications Assistant to support our External Relations, Communications, and Library (ERCL) department. The Communications Assistant coordinates office activities, manages information, and facilitates internal operations. The role encompasses the responsibility of a variety of day-to-day administrative tasks and clerical duties. The Communications Assistant is expected to contribute to the production of high-quality communications materials, the organization of events, and the management of online communications (IIASA website and social media channels). The role includes liaising with internal departments and stakeholders, and external suppliers. This will be a fixed term contract running from July 2017 to October 2018.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing externally resourced projects, liaising with freelancers, designers, and printers as appropriate.
- Coordinating projects and liaising with programs and departments for content for IIASA publications and projects, e. g. Scientific Update and Annual Report.
- Updating the IIASA website using a Content Management System. Creating news items and event pages.
- Arranging and executing the internal and external distribution of IIASA publications of all types.
- Maintaining the communications section of the contact database for the distribution of IIASA publications. Working with the relevant IIASA colleagues in the development of the Contact Database.
- Managing the IIASA Mailchimp account and sending out monthly newsletters. Collating information for the monthly content plan.
- Managing IIASA social media activities as required.
- Maintenance and updating of internal photo database and managing the IIASA Flickr account.
- Assisting in marketing and promotion of IIASA publications.
- Proof reading of publications before delivery to publisher and printers.
- Preparing book displays and maintaining publication stock, processing orders and invoicing.
- Working closely with other Communications staff to produce high quality publications on time.
- Operating the IIASA print shop; responsible for all printing requests (black/white and color) and for operating related machines (power cutting, binding and folding machines); maintaining an inventory of supplies, and liaising with suppliers.
- Assisting in event organization and coordination of materials for conferences. Organizing materials, publications displays, exhibitions, and logistics, and attendance at events as required.
- Supporting the Communications department with processing of the charge back system and department’s budget.
- Supporting the Head of Communications with administrative tasks.
- Deputizing for other Communications staff during absences and performing other tasks as necessary to benefit the department.
Background and Qualifications:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluent in English, German preferable.
- Excellent organization skills, with own initiative and ability to lead on projects when required.
- Flexible working attitude and happy to turn hand to a multitude of tasks within the department to help colleagues.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite advantageous.
- Excellent sense of style and layout, with an eye for detail.
- Ability to work independently and within a team to tight deadlines.
The Position is to cover for maternity leave and the successful candidate will be offered a fixed term employment contract from July 2017 to October 2018. The role is full time (40 hours per week), based at IIASA’s offices in Laxenburg.
IIASA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. IIASA salaries are exempt from taxation in the host country of Austria (subject to the principle of income aggregation).
Since we foresee being able to fill General Service posts such as this with locally recruited candidates, allowances for travel to the Institute and settlement in Austria will not apply.
IIASA is committed to a working environment that promotes equality, diversity, tolerance and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply. In the case that candidates are equally qualified, preference will be given to applicants who are nationals of IIASA member countries.
To apply, please email a cover letter and curriculum vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including email addresses) of two work-related references to:
Ms. Alia Harrison, Human Resources Department,
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA),
Schlossplatz 1, A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria
Deadline for receipt of applications: 31 May 2017
For further information about this position and IIASA's Communications Department, please contact:
Philippa Baumgartner, ERCL Deputy Head/Communications Manager
For general information about our Institute and its research activities, please visit our IIASA Web site.
Internal reference # 170132